School News & Events
Why new curriculum is better than 8-4-4 system
- October 20, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: School life
The debate between the 8-4-4 system and the Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC) system in Kenya has been ongoing for years, with proponents of both systems highlighting their advantages. Here are six reasons why the CBC system is considered by many as an improvement over the 8-4-4 system:
- Holistic Development: One of the primary advantages of the CBC system is its emphasis on holistic development. Unlike the 8-4-4 system, which primarily focused on academic subjects, CBC places importance on developing a child’s skills, talents, and values. This helps students become well-rounded individuals capable of facing real-world challenges.
- Inclusivity: The CBC system is designed to be more inclusive, accommodating various learning styles and abilities. It recognizes that not all students learn at the same pace or in the same way and provides opportunities for personalized learning, which can benefit both fast and slow learners.
- Continuous Assessment: CBC utilizes continuous assessment rather than a single high-stakes examination like the KCPE (Kenya Certificate of Primary Education) in the 8-4-4 system. Continuous assessment allows teachers to identify and address students’ strengths and weaknesses in real-time, reducing the pressure associated with end-of-term exams.
- Competency-Based Approach: As the name suggests, the CBC system is centered on developing competencies or skills. It emphasizes practical skills that are relevant to the real world, helping students to be better prepared for life after school. This approach is considered more practical than the theoretical focus of the 8-4-4 system.
- Local Relevance: The CBC system is designed to be more relevant to Kenya’s local context. It integrates elements of Kenyan culture, history, and values, making it more relatable for students. The 8-4-4 system often faced criticism for its limited relevance to the country’s specific needs and cultural identity.
- Global Competitiveness: The CBC system aims to prepare students to compete on a global scale. By focusing on skills like critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication, it equips students with the tools they need to excel in a rapidly changing global job market, where adaptability and practical skills are highly valued.
While the CBC system offers several benefits over the 8-4-4 system, it’s important to note that both systems have their strengths and weaknesses. The success of any educational system depends not only on its design but also on the effective implementation, quality of teaching, and resources available. As with any educational reform, it is crucial to continually assess and adjust the CBC system to ensure that it meets the evolving needs of Kenyan students and society.